Thursday, July 18, 2013

Mid-July Displays

It's only been about two weeks since my last display post yet that doesn't mean I lack for new stuff to share. That said, I'm going to start with something that's not as fresh as it could be, but I keep seeing it around so figure I might as well post it. It's the standalone display of the creme and shimmer shades in the Nicole by OPI Selena Gomez collection. I swatched these way back in January; I'd only seen the Selena Gomez glitters display at that point, but OPI sent bottles for review of the cremes and shimmers, too. A month or so later, I heard reports of these cremes and shimmers showing up at WalMart, and sometime after that, of them appearing in the permanent display at CVS stores that carry NOPI. It wasn't until much much later that the separate shelftop display appeared; I've seen it at both CVS and Ulta as recently as last weekend. Colors: Love Song (purple), Naturally (pink), Pretty in Plum (plum), Spring Break (dark pink), Hit the Lights (yellow), Selena (peach), Scarlett (red).



I've pretty much given up on buying Piggy Polish because their blatant renaming annoys me (I documented one example in my end of April display post but that's far from the only time I've seen it) yet I can't stop looking at or taking photos of their displays (after all, they may come out with a glitter I don't have but need—I can generally recognize a new glitter). There have been three new small Piggy Polish displays at my Ulta in recent weeks, starting with That's Shine with Me. This has Under Toe, which is their base coat (I think a top coat would have been better for a collection keyed to the word "shine"), A Pier-fect Day, and It's About Lime.



Engage Your Scent-ses has three scented polishes: It's Bouquet, Common Scents, and Sun Scents. The display says the scents are spring flowers, mint chocolate, and orange. For once, I didn't use my thumbnail as a tool, so I can't say for sure that these are re-labels, just that it looked very much like each color had another label underneath the current color name. I'm not sure what they would have re-labeled, though, as I don't recall any other scented offerings from them since I became aware of the brand a few years back.



The Piggy Polish Emeralda display has only one color: Emeralda. It's a tie-in with the color of the year as declared by Pantone, though it doesn't mention Pantone anywhere on the display.



Sally Beauty had a neons for summer section the last time I was in. There was a display with the neons from Nina Ultra Pro, neon ombre kits from China Glaze, and the Summer Brights from Orly. I was in a rush the day I took this and didn't get all the color names, though I believe they are all core or previously released; I know the Orly ones are because that display was at Ulta and in my mid-May display post. The China Glaze sets are Chasing the Sun (White on White, Sun Worshipper, Pool Party, and Flying Dragon) and Wave Runner (White on White, Celtic sun, I'm With the Lifeguard, and Frostbite).



Nicole by OPI's newest collection is Tink, eight polishes themed for Disney's Tinkerbell: Pixie Glitter (silver holo glitter), Fairy Fairy Quite Contrary (yellow orange), How Fairy Nice of You (light pink), Half Charming Half Alarming (orange), Sweet on Pete (acid green), Tink's in the Pink (medium pink). I've only seen this at Walgreens so far, which is odd, since my Walgreens doesn't usually have NOPI.



After reading about some things people were spotting at Walmart, I've braved several of their locations recently. Some of them even had fairly unmolested displays.

My trips were all after the 4th of July, so by the time I saw the Pure Ice Stars & Stripes display, the patriotic glitter polish called Freedom was all gone. There were a lot of other Pure Ice colors there, though, most of which there were slots for over in the permanent display.





One of the things that I was looking for particularly was the Salon Perfect Neon Collision limited edition collection, six neon matte glitter shades. The first two stores I went to had none, at least not anywhere near the beauty section. At the third, I finally found them, in a huge endcap. Granted the endcap was not in great shape, having been assaulted by customers who wrongly think it's perfectly acceptable to swatch polishes on any surface at all, but the polishes were there, mixed in with non-Neon Collision Salon Perfect shades and a generous assortment of Sinful Colors and other random bottles.



At a different store, I found the Neon Collison colors not in a display but just on a shelf unit with trays of polishes rather precariously stacked on top of each other.



The other thing that led me to go on my WalMart expedition was the Fing'rs Heart 2 Art display, which I saw at only one of the four stores I visited. There is a lot going on in this one: polishes, embellishments (nail strips, striping tape, gems and loose glitter and fimo, etc.), nail art kits (including dots and stamping and sequins and studs and brushes and even an OPI Spotted knockoff).



There was so much stuff they couldn't fit it all on the front of the display; around the side, there were sets of stickers and tattoo paper.



The polishes are in small bottles, about the size of typical nail art stripers, but they're not stripers; there's even a photo on the display that shows the full size brush.



Top row of polishes above, left to right: The Coast is Clear, Caught Red Handed, Re-Orange My Closet, You Had Me at Yellow, Meet Me in the Green Room, Left Me Jaded, Teal We Meet Again, The Boys in Blue, Bent Out of Grape, Can't Hear Myself Pink, Don't Even Pink About It, You Pinky Swear, Peri-Wink Wink, Little White Lie, From Taupe to Bottom, Mauve It or Lose It, Catch Some Greys, Little Black Book.

Bottom row: Rose Gold Knock-Off, Make Me a Birthday Flake, Gold Fing'rs, In Mint Condition, Star Crossed Lovers, Purple Reign, My Boyfriend Matte, No Time Like Iridescence, Polish Your Silverware, On a Silver Platter, Set in Rhinestone, Stop Metalling in My Business, V.I.Purple, Blue a Fuse, Over the Rainbow, Back to the Fuchsia, Red You Loud and Clear, Black Tie Event.

Several of these looked very familiar. Some of those I bought anyway, for comparison purposes later, but a couple I left in the store. Make Me a Birthday Flake looked very much like Icing After Party and Cult Nails Happy Ending. (I did a comparison of those two last year.)



Over the Rainbow looks like Spoiled Trust Fund Baby and Wet 'n' Wild Correction Tape. (I compared those two last year as well.)



I wasn't particularly searching for Flower, the WalMart exclusive makeup line Drew Barrymore is involved with somehow, but when I saw there were polishes I did stop and take a closer look. The photo below is of the small version of the Flower section; this has only one row of nail polish (near the upper right).



Here's a closer look at the polishes:



In the stores which had bigger Flower sections, there were two rows of polish.



Single row version is the same colors as the top row in the two-row display: Go With the Flow-er, That's Just Dan-De-Lion, Fanatical Botanical (in photo directly above, this color is in the slot where That's Just Dan-De-Lion belongs), Gorgeous Gerbera, May Flowers, I Lavendare You, Thistle or That, Good Bud-Dy.

Bottom Row: Eye of the Tiger Lily, What's the Daffodilly-O, Cosmos-Politan, Precious Poppy, First Bloom, Budding Romance, Venus Fly Trap, April Showers.

At one store, there was also an endcap for Flower stuff with space for polishes on the side (quite picked over by the time I saw it).



I have one last display from WalMart before we move on. Remember the Nicole by OPI Gumdrops I swatched back in May? Well, I finally saw them in a store, and that store was WalMart. When I got to this particular display, the bottles were in random clumps on the shelves.



In trying to arrange the Gumdrops in a more orderly fashion for a photo, I discovered there were bottle slots under the cardboard the bottles were sitting on, so of course I had to take out all the cardboard sheets and put the bottles in the slots. Colors top to bottom: I Lilac Gumdrops, My Cherry Amour, Candy is Dandy, Cinna-man of My Dreams, Blue-berry Sweet on You, and A-nise Treat.





The same weekend I saw the NOPI Gumdrops at WalMart, I saw them at a CVS, in an end of the Nail HQ display along with Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat, Sugar Coat, and Diamond Strength polishes.







Meijer also had a Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear limited edition collection I hadn't seen anywhere before (but have since seen at Rite Aid). It's called Hot Looks Beach Brights and has ten colors: Razz-berry, Lemon Zest, Blueberry Blast, Pink-Grape Fruit, Berry Juicy, Ice Pop, Kiwi Bikini, Peach Beach, Pink of Punch, and Perfect Pear-ing.



So far, Meijer is the only place I've seen the Milani Fantastical Plumage limited edition collection. This has a Jewel FX black and white glitter called Carnival and five regular line cremes: Scarlet Ibis, Canary, Peacock, Blue Jay, and Purple Martin.



By the time I saw the other limited edition Milani collection, Retro Glam, at another Meijer, three of the colors were gone. This is similar to Fantasical Plumage in that it has a black and white Jewel FX glitter and five other regular line colors: Sprinkles (which looks from the photo like it's Carnival plus some smaller glitter), Strawberry Shake, Raspberry Delight, Creamy Pistachio, Mint Chip, and Almond Bliss.



Nicole by OPI has mini sets with neons for summer; I've also seen these only at Meijer so far. The Scandalous Neons set has White Base, Blue Neon, Purple Neon, and Pink Neon. Notorious Neons has White Base, Green Neon, Fuchsia Neon (which looks more orange red to me), and Orange Neon.



I'll end with another display I saw first at Meijer (this one has since popped up at Ulta and Rite Aid), the Revlon Denim & Diamonds 3D Jewel Appliques nail strips. Designs are: It's Riveting (denim blue with golden yellow rivets and stitching), Zip It (red with silver zippers), Spike Out (black with silver spikes), Star Studded (denim blue with golden yellow stars), one I didn't get the name of that's grey denim with a geometric stripe, Denim & Diamonds (white/grey/black geometric), Pretty in Punk (faded denim blue with lace), and Unchained (denim blue with blue and gold chains).



Anything look especially good to you? Have you already bought/tried some of these?

33 comments:

  1. I feel like I just went shopping!!! I love your displays posts especially because I saw all the pretties but spent none of the money!! It has been POURING every morning this week so I haven't been able to make my morning rounds to see what new displays are out lol This helped me get my fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, you re-arrange/straighten the displays too? I thought I was the only OCD nail polish hoarder here. I burst out laughing when I read that. I really want all of the Milani collections coming out. I haven't seen them yet here. but I haven't been out today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I do that too! I'll be shopping for polish and notice they're messed up and start straightening as I go along :p

      Delete
    2. Cin & Norma, if we all lived in the same place, the nail polish displays would be perfect!

      Delete
  3. Wow this is an amazing post! I want to go out and hunt for things but 1. I'm not employed so I don't have money to spend besides the $30 in change lying around, and 2. I don't drive, so I'd have to walk in this 90-degree weather--no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, definitely better to stay inside on days like that!

      Delete
  4. I cannot find the Salon Perfect neons at any of my Wal Mart stores. Blah.

    Also, it cracks me up how you rearrange the displays. You do more work at Wal Mart than the associates! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashion Footing, well to be fair to the SAs, I don't have a boss telling me how to spend my time so I'm free to spend as much time as I like sorting out the displays. Though some get so jacked up I just have to walk away.

      Delete
  5. I love this post! It looks like some of the piggy polish has issues. The Disney Tink is exclusive to Walgreens. I went to walmart to find the Fingrs items but the display was pretty much empty. A lot of this stuff I haven't seen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for that information, Micki. I didn't realize Tink was a Wags exclusive.

      Delete
  6. ARGH! Your display posts always make me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your display posts! Every time I see them, I say I need to plan myself a trip to the US!!! So much pretty polish <3
    The cart with the Neon Collisions next to the Heart2Art display must be yours, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's my cart. When I checked out, the cashier said "I've never had someone buy this much nail polish." :)

      Delete
  8. Chocolate mint scented polish?? *___*

    BTW the cart parked near the Fing'rs display was yours, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my cart--but not all those are for me. I did add a few bottles from other displays later, though, and those were for me. :)

      Delete
  9. Love the display posts, even tho it confirms (for the #474859 time) what a detestable place Walmart is.

    I have yet to encounter the Nopi gumdrops save for 2 rogue bottles of Anise-Teat shoved into a Selena Gomez display at CVS.

    Have you tried any of the Nabi holos that were in a display post a while back ? I'm curious about those.

    Thanks again for all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bleubelle, I have not yet tried any of the Nabi holos, but my friend the Holo Queen has: http://goldenankh.blogspot.com/search/label/Nabi



      Delete
  10. I never found the new salon perfect at my walmarts so i had a friend get them for me. next I need to find the new milani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briana, the Salon Perfects are definitely hit or miss as far as finding them.

      Delete
  11. Aaahhh I'm so excited to see all these! Can't wait to go to the States!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many new things! Still haven't seen the glittery SH sugars in Canada yet though the matte ones are here; nor any of the NOPI gumdrops....as the NOPI's Gumdrops have now made their way to you (and hadn't when we met a few weeks ago); hopefully, it won't be too far now before they arrive now in Canada!

    I'm guessing we'll eventually see some of those Revlon strips posted eventually although they look on the pricy side; but maybe with some creative couponing.....some of them look really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...goes back to look at KarenD;s shopping cart after reading the comments...

      Delete
    2. mrsrexy, some of those ones in the cart have your name on them. :)

      Delete
  13. I look forward to these display posts from you! I love that you include Meijer - I have found so many collections there first, and since they are limited to the Midwest, they don't pop up too often. You've given me a few more things to put on my hunting list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maniac (if I may call you that), Meijer is one of the good things about Michigan, for sure.

      Delete
  14. Karen - your friendly neighborhood enabler has struck again - leaving us all with new lemmnings and polishes to buy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, you know I am always happy to be your personal shopper. :)

      Delete
  15. So many gorgeous new polishes out! I love the Retro Glam Milanis!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I gotta try those Salon Perfect polishes! Thanks for posting all those displays!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh that Heart 2 Art display looks like a fun area to look at...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.