Monday, July 9, 2012

Recent NOTD: 4th of July

Many of my nail blogging friends in the U.S. posted their 4th of July manicures on that very day, some even a day or two before. I didn't even manage to paint my nails for this patriotic holiday until after lunch on the day itself and even then only did a simple creme plus glitter look, so it's not like I needed to wait for a day off to accomplish that. I blame the heat wave; my motivation to do anything fancy melted away.



My base color was two coats of Cult Nails Evil Queen (which I chose on the basis of it was still sitting in my swatching box and thus did not require me to go digging in my Helmers). I topped that with one to two coats of Icing Blue Ice (which I got in a swap with mrsrexy, the Canadian Nail Fanatic); that one's got silver and blue glitter with silver holo stars scattered in it. Like so many big glitters, the stars didn't especially want to come out of the bottle, so that's why some of my nails got two coats of glitter and some only one—I had to keep fishing until I got enough stars. Then I put topcoat on and called it done.





This was festive and fun, and I'm glad I work at a place where this sort of thing is perfectly fine, since then I got to enjoy the sparkles for another couple days after the holiday.


23 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,tat's a lovely mani! I think my emails to you are bouncing back - have you receive any in the past week? Hope you're well anyway x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry to hack ur post again-I've sent you an email from my old email address ending .cz but don't know if it arrived. Maybe your mailbox is full? xx

      Delete
  2. Nice mani! Love that glitter polish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really a fantastic mani - I *love* the glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this combo!! I know what you mean about lack of motivation in the heat. It just drains you. You still made it in time though ;0).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this mani! That glitter is really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very lovely mani, the stars in the glitter are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I really like that glitter polish too! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! That glitter is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty glitter. "Taco glitter" never heard of it I will search it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry--it's when big glitter pieces curl up like a taco shell in the bottle and then don't lay flat on the nail when you try to use the polish.

      Delete
  10. Got it :) Never heard of it before :) Tried to search online couldn't find anything :0I think Barry M just launched another glitter multi color but I didn't see it in the shops yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that glitter a lot! Simple, sure, this is still a really pretty combo! It kind of reminds me of Julep America that is out, only it is way better!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out so fun! What a great layer ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a refreshing take on the July 4th celebration. I saw many manis on this topic, but yours is one of my faves. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a great July 4th mani, even if it's a few days late ;-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  16. super cute! i love the little stars!

    ReplyDelete
  17. At least you did a festive mani-I was too lazy to even accomplish that! This is really great-I actually really like this for the holiday it represents!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks fantastic! I didn't get around to posting my Canada Day mani until the holiday was over by a few days too....and I wanted to do an Independence Day one but just never got around to it...there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.