Friday, June 22, 2012

Orly Skinny Dip Plus Ruffian Semi-Fail

Skinny Dip was the first polish I reached for when I saw the Orly Feel the Vibe display; it wasn't the most eye catching color there but it seemed the most wearable for me, a bright blue shimmer I could see at the office (my office, anyway) or a party or on vacation.



I used three coats, no top coat. I was evidently having an awkward posing day, since no two fingers in that photo above are at the same angle and my pinky nail looks strangely long but no matter, the polish is a pretty color.





On its own, no top coat as here, it dries to a nearly satin finish, which is most evident in the photo below, taken at a bit more distance from the lights above my light box.



The second polish I picked up from the display was After Party, the black packed with blue and pink shimmer. Not a typical summer polish, for sure. I decided this should be used for a ruffian; it seemed pigmented enough to only need one coat, so there wouldn't be a big step up from the base color, and I thought a bright peeking out above it on the nail would look quite striking. So, despite never having done a ruffian before and having not so stellar freehand skills, I decided to freehand a ruffian with After Party. This worked out about as well as could be expected, meaning it's a semi-fail. The concept is solid, I still believe, but my execution leaves something to be desired, especially in the areas of making a smooth curve, leaving a consistent gap, and covering the sides adequately. I didn't think top coat was going to fix any of those things, so you get to see it without and After Party looks just a bit bumpy.





It doesn't look too bad out of focus, I guess. Next time, I'm gonna use guides. Or work more slowly. Or something. Still, I like both of these polishes and am happy I have them.

25 comments:

  1. For me, a good Ruffian has a lot to do with the brush - there's no way I can do it without guides if I have a brush that's wonky or too wide or square at the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this combo! I skipped out on Skinny Dip...maybe I do need it lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skinny Dip looks so pretty! Love the combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the combo! I love both of these polishes and I hope to pick them up at some point. The Ruffian mani has eluded me. I think I might KNOW that I can't do it so I don't want to even attempt it. lol It doesn't look too bad though, you did a great job free handed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skinny dip is such a pretty blue! Love the combo as well! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love skinny dip! I really like the idea of mixing a dark and a bright polish. Definitely have to try a ruffian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love skinny dip! I have it and I forgot all about it. I need to wear it now thatI see it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this combo! It is very striking. You just inspired me to try a ruffian :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another thing added to the list to try! That blue is beautimous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skinny Dip is absolutely gorgeous - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I left Skinny Dip behind, but I may need to get it after all. Really pretty! I like the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like them both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting combination. Both colors are pretty. You did a good job for your first time with this design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, don't worry, next time it'll be perfect :-D
    lovely color combo :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kudos to you for trying this- I've been too nervous to give it a whirl via freehand, despite thinking it looks cool as all heck. I really like the combo you chose- Orly Skinny Dip is a gorgeous blue, and it picks up on the lovely blue shimmer in After Party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great color combo! I have and really like After Party but haven't pulled the trigger on Skinny yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Skinny Dip is such a pretty blue!! Your post just reminded me that I have After Party in my Helmer and haven't used it yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Skinny Dip, it's a very pretty colour! I've never seen After Party before, but that looks pretty good too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not sure I like the ruffian style, I guess I'm just lame like that. But I do like that you tried to do one and it really isn't all that bad! I like the two colors together. They go nicely. I esp like that light blue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Feel the Vibe is very pretty and After Party with the blue shimmer compliments it well for the ruffian. I should try this out some day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful blue! I love the slight shimmer to it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.