Sunday, December 5, 2010

Recent NOTD: OPI Simmer & Shimmer

For those of you keeping track at home, I am currently running twelve days behind on my nails of the day posts, as today I have pics of the polish I applied on November 23rd to wear for Thanksgiving weekend. (Just think how far behind I'd get if I actually changed every day instead of twice a week!) Since I'd had such good wear from Mad as a Hatter on my trip in October, I picked another dense OPI glitter for this outing: Simmer & Shimmer from the Burlesque collection (in stores now—and no, they are not paying me to say that). S&S is a multi-but-mostly-blue color. I used three coats plus top coat over my regular base coat routine. The result: shiny fascination.







Much as I liked the look, I decided experiment and added a coat of China Glaze Matte Magic. I liked that, too.





What I did not like was the chipping I got after a couple days. In over a week in Florida, I never had to touch up Mad as a Hatter once; I had my bottle of Simmer & Shimmer out to fix chips nearly every day I was in Illinois. If I'd planned from the start to mattify it, I would have used Orly Bonder as a base and before the last layer of glitter (the "stickey sandwich" method). Next time; there's always next time.

7 comments:

  1. I never care about polish chipping because I do them almost every day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the stickey sandwiching method!

    :) Still, a very pretty glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is china glaze matte still widely sold? I'm gonna be in the Seattle in 2 weeks so, I'm hoping to stock up! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the matte look! Too bad it didn't last long...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh this looks so pretty and festive on you! I wish the glitters didn't chip so much... that is a big downside. I need to find better tricks too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it with the matte! I want those burlesque glitters soo bad... :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that glitter, it's so shiny! I really like the matte look too. I never think to matte glitters, such a good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.