Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Really Deep

Today's comparison is a perfect illustration of why I either need to exercise a great deal more self-restraint in beauty supply stores or just admit I'm basically running a nail polish museum in my bedroom closet. The topic is vampies, namely OPI Naughty or Nice, China Glaze Naughty and Nice (ChG doesn't make you choose), Finger Paints Shades of Dark, and OPI Lincoln Park After Dark. These are all dark, dark cremes, so dark it's hard to tell if they're purple or plum or burgundy or what. They all look pretty much the same in the bottle.



I bought Lincoln Park After Dark partly for the name (I grew up near Chicago) and partly because it seems like this one is a classic that any complete stash should have. I have no idea when or why I got Shades of Dark; I'm sure I had a good reason at the time. Naughty or Nice I got because I had all but two of this year's Orly holiday collection, and I do love a complete set. Naughty and Nice I bought because I wanted to compare it to Naughty or Nice, since both were released about the same time. If I had more fingers on my photo hand, I could have added more deep darks into this mix, but let's just focus on these four.



Top to bottom: Naughty or Nice, Naughty and Nice, Shades of Dark, Lincoln Park After Dark.


I used two coats of all of these. If one of these things is not like the others, it's the China Glaze, which is redder, more of a berry base color. Finger Paints is the darkest, such a deep purple it might as well be black as far as I can tell. The Orly and OPI are the closest to each other, both just a touch less dark of a purple than the Finger Paints. It's really hard to see the differences in normal room light, though, so here is an overexposed flash picture:



I'm thinking I can probably let go of the Finger Paints and the Orly (if the OPI didn't come from the Chicago collection, I'd keep the Orly and give up the OPI because I like the Orly bottles better) but not until I do a vampy nail wheel for documentation purposes.

15 comments:

  1. wow, these are all dead on. It's a little too much of a coincidence that both China Glaze and Orly came out with the exact same colour for Christmas with almost identical names. I wonder how that happens!

    It's not even like it was a red or a green that would be more forgiving in a christmas collection, but an edgy colour like that!? very weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful colors, but they are very the same. thanks for showing and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to me with vampies too! Why do I have so many of them??? *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow They look like dupes of each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tagged you!

    http://rachelsnails.blogspot.com/2010/12/tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I literally laughed out loud at the comment about China Glaze's Naughty And Nice (ChG doesn't make you choose)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Very close! Close enough to be called dupes to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How weird to get two polishes looking so similar and to have similar names! It's a lovely vampy colour though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome comparison post. I love learning the difference between colors/brands that look the same - because they usually aren't. Thanks for the great information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look identical! I couldn't pick a difference between them until I scrolled down to the flash picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always think one vampy is enough. And one black.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! How many nail wheels do you have??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually I like FP and Orly the best :)
    I absolutely enjoy reading you, those lines about "running a nail polish museum" or "I'm sure I had a good reason at the time" are killing me ;) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, everyone!

    Jackie, I just add a pack or two of wheels to my order everytime I get something from Transdesign, so I have a lot of wheels. :) Only about 30 or so have polish on them at this point, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.